Collage School: Fodder Fever
With Crystal Marie
Collage School: Fodder Fever
Is this a chicken or the egg thing? Did you fall in love with collage first or did you find you had a fever for the fodder? Hunters and gatherers for the love of all thing paper will agree, this question isn't as important as the joy it brings to arrange, compose, orchestrate and dream of all the possibilities a fresh stash of fodder can bring.
Everything in Fodderation
Bring it all to the table: collected snippets, textiles, and fragments of salvaged materials, those found and gathered items are simply too hard to resist. It's all fair game for the collage and mixed media artist.
But why stop there? I can't help myself, regardless of the medium I'm working in, somehow it always migrates to paper. And somehow those papers make their way into my fodder stash.
In the first workshop of Collage School, you'll explore it all. Hunt and gather bits and pieces from salvaged and found materials, deconstruct old books, splish-splash and splatter, paint, stain, rust, crumple, knead and explore a variety of techniques for creating collage fodder.
Creating your own fodder allows you, the artist, to bring more of your own style, your own hand, your own energy your own voice and fullest self into your collage and mixed media work.
It all starts with a selection of my favorite prerecorded video lessons. Then gather with me for a 3-hour live online workshop to learn and create even more. Continue the fun and idea exchange in our private Facebook group for all Collage School participants.
A Hybrid Mix of Lessons
The classroom is open with a selection of my favorite prerecorded videos covering a variety of techniques for creating collage fodder from salvaged and new materials including:
- creating image transfers on a gel plate
- the contemporary method of kneading paper known as Momigami
- creating dyes and stains from acrylic paint.
- painted surface design on salvaged materials
The live class will cover surface design, texture and more:
- Live workshop on Zoom THURSDAY November 30th, 1-4CST
- Expanding on and combining some of the methods I’ve used to create collage papers over the past three years
- A special emphasis on tactile and visual texture
- Deconstructing Books and other Salvaged Materials-How to see the potential in discarded items
- Introducing my own techniques, recipes, and favorite mediums for creating textures, rust stains, etc.
- Permission giving to ones inner curiosity for taking an experimental approach as we remember it is “just paper”
- Finding inspiration in the fragments and nonpermanent arrangements
- Warm up collage exercises
- PLUS ongoing support and peer to peer interaction in a private Facebook group for all Collage School Workshop participants!
What is Fodder?
Do I need a bunch of expensive art supplies?
Will the live workshop be recorded?
Do I have to be on Facebook to participate?
"Working in my studio in silence my eyes are hearing from the overflow of my heart. I have no words to express these yearnings and longings. They are known only to the Spirit. I move these scraps of paper around until there is a silent confirmation. Each one is a prayer. An offering. Perhaps a request or a blessing. a silent plea for mercy. grace. peace."